Skip to main content

Marshall Lead 12 Preamp Simulation

Having already modelled the preamp stage of the Vox Pathfinder 10, 15 and 15R respectively, and noted the similarities circuit-wise between the PF10 and the PF15, I discovered another much-loved practice amp with a similar preamp stage - the Marshall Lead 12.

I should say, before going any further, that there are huge differences between the power amp stages. The PF10 uses a TDA2030A chip amp whereas the Lead 12 uses discrete components. The chip amp power stage on the PF10 shouldn't colour the tone much, but the discrete one in the Lead 12 most likely does contribute to the overall tone of the amplifier.

A simulation of the preamp stage with the Treble, Bass and Mid controls at 50% and the Gain control at 0%-100% gave this

Marshall Lead 12 Preamp Simulation
Marshall Lead 12 preamp simulation, Gain 0%-100%, TMB @ 50%
Vox Pathfinder 10 preamp simulation (overdrive engaged)
Vov Pathfinder 10 preamp simulation, Gain 0%-100%, T+B @ 50%

Comparing the two, the Marshall appears to distort more gracefully as the gain is increased, and the signal is not as compressed. Interestingly enough, the Marshall circuit is quite a lot simpler than the Vox, but like the PF15, it would be relatively easy to implement the Marshall preamp circuit on the PF10 board should anyone really want to try that. If I was to do it, I'd keep the PF10 tone stack as-is because it would be tricky to implement a TMB in place of the TB on the PF10 board. I did actually simulate a "hybrid" Lead 12 preamp with PF10 tone stack, and found that it really made very little difference anyway.

Interestingly, the PF10 does not implement the traditional Vox tone stack in the usual way, and the Lead 12 doesn't implement the traditional Marshall tone stack in the usual way either.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Vox Pathfinder 15 Tremolo Repair

Last year, I snapped up a Vox Pathfinder 15 (non-reverb) combo amplifier from ebay. The seller was a charity shop, and the amplifier was listed as "untested", so I was taking a bit of a gamble, but figured I'd have a good chance of being able to fix it it it wasn't working, and cosmetically, it looked almost mint. When it arrived, I plugged it in, and as you guessed, it was not working. Barely any sound, and what sound there was was horribly distorted. One thin I did notice was the the power on LED was not aligned correctly with the hole in the back panel, so I did quickly took it apart, and realigned the potentiometers and LED indicator, but didn't have a look in detail at the circuit. I put it back together, but the problem remained. My guess was that the problem was the famous "cambridgitis" (just google that term and you'll find all about it). Basically, a problem where the optocoupler that controls the tremolo circuit fails. A common failure

Vox Pathfinder 10 and Pathfinder 15 Simulation

I've got a Vox Pathfinder 10 amplifier that I bought a couple of years ago, and I love it. It's a great little amplifier, but I don't care for the distortion channel, it just sounds harsh to my ears. There are quite simple modifications that can be done to this amplifier to remove the clipping LED's and increase the boost of the clean channel (check out Ben Craven's mods  for details). I'd been considering doing some of these, but whilst researching the subject, I discovered that the currently out of production (as at Nov '18)  Pathfinder 15/15R generally receives a lot more love than the Pathfinder 10. I found schematics for both the PF15 and the PF15R online, and saw that there were a lot of similarities between the PF10 and the PF15, particularly the earlier non-reverb PF15. The PF15R (with reverb) is quite a bit different after the first two opamp stages. I thought I'd model both the PF10 and PF15 pre-amp stages in LTspice  to see how they compar

Pete's Bazz Fuss

It's been ages since I built an effects pedal, so to get my soldering chops back up to speed, I decided I'd build a simple fuzz pedal for my long-time friend Pete as a surprise present for his impending birthday. The circuit I chose was the Bazz Fuss (yes that's the correct name)  which you can read about here if you care to. I went for the basic v1.0 of the circuit and used a 2N3904 for the transistor, and boxed everything in a 1590A sized enclosure. Despite a number of stupid mistakes that I had to rectify, I got it all done and boxed within a day, complete with lo-fi graphics. Here's a gut-shot. gut-shot And here is the finished item. lo-fi graphic It sounded OK when I played it although it needed the volume knob maxxed out to get the best out of it. Maybe a higher gain transistor would have been better still. I'm pretty sure Pete will like it though.