Skip to main content

Things went all fuzzy

Buoyed by the success of last month's "Chafer Drive", I've been busy drawing up layouts for a few more small effects that I want to build, and first up is a tribute to the "Shin Ei Companion Fuzz FY-2". This was a Japanese fuzz pedal made in the 1970's and is generally well-regarded in the DIY effects community for it's classic fuzz tones.

The original came in a large wedge shaped box, but my plan was to squeeze it into a Hammond 1590A just as I did with the "Chafer Drive". This was undoubtedly going to be more challenging, since (a) the circuit is larger, and (b) it has two control knobs as opposed to one. I had some standard 25 x 9 stripboard which I thought would be ideal for this purpose, so I challenged myself to layout the circuit with that in mind.

The original circuit use some obscure 2SC536 transistors (Hfe 160-560) that were no longer manufactured,  but I had a whole bunch of 2SC1685 (Hfe 160-460) transistors that I had pulled out of an old hi-fi amplifier and which looked close enough specification-wise, so I decided to use these.

First up I breadboarded the circuit, and of naturally there was no sound. I checked my transistor pinouts, and sure enough, I had them the wrong way around!  (note-to-self always double-check this). Once I switched them around though it worked like a dream first time, so I spent an hour pretending I was a 1970's guitar hero.

I wasn't totally satisfied though. Although the fuzz control (basically a tone control), gave a nice range of sounds, the volume control was pretty much useless as the effect barely managed unity gain with the it maxed out. So I decided to try to add a boost stage to the output section. I figured a low-part-count transparent boost based on the oft-used EHX LPB-1 would do the trick.

Where I had got the idea that a 25 x 9 strip board would fit, I do not know. Width-wise, there is plenty to spare (12 strips would be OK) but length-wise it snagged on the DC adapter, and was a couple of columns too long at least so I had to shorten the board, which was not a major problem as I had some space to spare. However, the addition of the boost section meant I needed to take the wires out of the middle of the board rather than at the ends which is not ideal really.

My redrawn circuit now looked like this.

schematic

My final strip board layout looked like this

stripboard layout (blue=strips, red=jumpers, holes=cuts)

Next I got to work on the box. The pots I had were slightly smaller (but cheaper and nastier) than the de-facto standard Alpha 16mm ones, and it looked like I could get two of them side by side with some careful drilling, however, I couldn't afford to be out by much more than 1mm, and it was incredibly difficult to be that accurate even using templates and a centre punch. In the end, I had to file the pots slightly to to make up for my inaccuracies. If I was to do it again, I would not try to use 16mm pots side-by-side, and would either offset them (which wouldn't look as good) or use 9mm pots instead.

pots filed-to-fit

Still, it came out OK in the end, and so to the board. First I make the cuts, and use my multimeter to check for continuity (or lack-of) to make sure the cuts are good.

board with cuts made
Next up, the jumpers followed by the low profile parts. I use blu-tac to hold things in place whilst I solder.
resistors and jumpers in place
Then the box type capacitors and followed by the remains capacitors and finally the transistors. I'm not so happy about soldering the transistors because it's easy to damage them with heat, but there is not much choice in these small-box builds as space is really tight.

all components in place

Then I tested to make sure everything was working OK, which it was (once I had grounded it properly).

Finally, boxing it up. I hate this part at the moment. I always seem to have some problems, and sure enough I did, mainly due to bad soldering on the switch, but I got there in the end.

almost done!
It's a tight fit though. I guess I'll improve with experience.

gut-shot
I thought it sounded great on the breadboard into my Micro Marshall, bur when I plugged it into my 15 watt practice amp, it didn't sound as good for some reason, but I'm just going to put it down to experience.

Finally, here it is alongside some commercial pedals, apologies for the blurred picture .




Things I learned/could have done better

  1. Keep the board to 22x12 (max). Space at the sides can be useful for routing wires, so 12 may be a bit wide.
  2. Input and output connections at the switch end of the board, also a ground if possible.
  3. Pot connections at the other end of the board.
  4. Use 9mm pots if two or more controls are needed
  5. Allow a bit more space between input an output jacks. There is no need to have them too close together unless multiple pots are in the way.
  6. Use a DC jack that requires a smaller hole (these do exist) and move it nearer the top of the box (towards the pots), this would allow 25 column boards.












Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Vox Pathfinder 15 Tremolo Repair

Last year, I snapped up a Vox Pathfinder 15 (non-reverb) combo amplifier from ebay. The seller was a charity shop, and the amplifier was listed as "untested", so I was taking a bit of a gamble, but figured I'd have a good chance of being able to fix it it it wasn't working, and cosmetically, it looked almost mint. When it arrived, I plugged it in, and as you guessed, it was not working. Barely any sound, and what sound there was was horribly distorted. One thin I did notice was the the power on LED was not aligned correctly with the hole in the back panel, so I did quickly took it apart, and realigned the potentiometers and LED indicator, but didn't have a look in detail at the circuit. I put it back together, but the problem remained. My guess was that the problem was the famous "cambridgitis" (just google that term and you'll find all about it). Basically, a problem where the optocoupler that controls the tremolo circuit fails. A common failure

Vox Pathfinder 10 and Pathfinder 15 Simulation

I've got a Vox Pathfinder 10 amplifier that I bought a couple of years ago, and I love it. It's a great little amplifier, but I don't care for the distortion channel, it just sounds harsh to my ears. There are quite simple modifications that can be done to this amplifier to remove the clipping LED's and increase the boost of the clean channel (check out Ben Craven's mods  for details). I'd been considering doing some of these, but whilst researching the subject, I discovered that the currently out of production (as at Nov '18)  Pathfinder 15/15R generally receives a lot more love than the Pathfinder 10. I found schematics for both the PF15 and the PF15R online, and saw that there were a lot of similarities between the PF10 and the PF15, particularly the earlier non-reverb PF15. The PF15R (with reverb) is quite a bit different after the first two opamp stages. I thought I'd model both the PF10 and PF15 pre-amp stages in LTspice  to see how they compar

Pete's Bazz Fuss

It's been ages since I built an effects pedal, so to get my soldering chops back up to speed, I decided I'd build a simple fuzz pedal for my long-time friend Pete as a surprise present for his impending birthday. The circuit I chose was the Bazz Fuss (yes that's the correct name)  which you can read about here if you care to. I went for the basic v1.0 of the circuit and used a 2N3904 for the transistor, and boxed everything in a 1590A sized enclosure. Despite a number of stupid mistakes that I had to rectify, I got it all done and boxed within a day, complete with lo-fi graphics. Here's a gut-shot. gut-shot And here is the finished item. lo-fi graphic It sounded OK when I played it although it needed the volume knob maxxed out to get the best out of it. Maybe a higher gain transistor would have been better still. I'm pretty sure Pete will like it though.